Foundation Competence evidence due 11th Jan 2010

07 January 2010
Evidence of your Foundation Competence (if applicable - see below taken from the National Recruitment Office for GP Training website) if not attached to the application form is due to your first choice deanery by 11th Jan 2010.

Demonstrating Achievement of Foundation Competency:

If you are currently undertaking a foundation programme in the UK, you will be asked to confirm the name of your Foundation School on your application form. You do not need to do anything else. Any offer of a programme will be conditional upon you successfully completing this programme and being awarded an FACD 5.2 before August 2010.

If you have undertaken a UK foundation programme within the last 3 years – ie. since 1st August 2007, you will be asked to confirm that you have been awarded an FACD 5.2. You will be able to attach a scanned copy to your application. You will be expected to provide the original certificate when you attend Selection Centre.

If you have not undertaken a UK foundation programme within the last 3 years – i.e. since 1st August 2007, then you will need to submit alternative evidence by asking a Consultant who has supervised you for at least 3 months since 1st August 2007 to attest to your achievement of foundation competency. There are two "Alternative Certificates" available for download; one for specialties with acute medical responsibilities and one for specialties without acute medical responsibilities. You will need to submit the appropriate certificate to the NRO for assessment once you have submitted your application. See Appendix 3 for a list of specialties with & without acute medical responsibilities.

If you are unable to provide any of the above because, for example, you have not worked since 1st August 2007 then you are advised to secure a second year UK foundation programme post before applying for a GP specialty training programme. Alternatively, you could secure a post that will enable you to demonstrate foundation competency to someone who could then provide you with an "Alternative Certificate", eg. A locum or Trust post or FTSTA post.

Refugee doctors may have less access to standardised documentation and in some cases may not be able to obtain an "Alternative Certificate". If you are unable to provide any of the above because of your Refugee status, you should contact your first choice postgraduate deanery for advice before submitting your application. Refugee doctors should provide an Alternative Certificate wherever possible.

<<< take me back to news